Kansas City Disc Golf Needs You
Kansas City Disc Golf has no employees, and depends on the volunteerism of its members for it to work. We need qualified candidates to run for the open slots on our Board of Directors to serve a two-year term. What makes a “qualified” candidate? There are a variety of answers to this question, but fundamentally you need to be a little bit evangelical about our game and be willing to give some time to work on projects.
If you decide to run for the board, please fill out the Candidate Biography Questionnaire. We must receive your information no later than November 10th.
The candidates will be announced at kcdiscgolf.org by November 10th, signaling the beginning of the campaign period. The online election will be November 18th – December 1st for all active members (those who have a membership expiration date of 12/31/2023 or later). The results of the election will be announced on December 3rd.
Board Member Qualifications
A Board of Directors is required for KCDG’s 501c(3) not-for-profit status and is mandated by the KCDG Bylaws. In addition to an annual membership meeting, the Board holds monthly meetings (in person, online, or telephonic) nine times a year to coordinate and direct KCDG affairs. Some of the Board’s main activities include:
- Setting KCDG policies.
- Financial management, including annual budget.
- Identification of responsible future Board members.
- Representing the membership’s vision for the future of the sport and the organization.
You can review the minutes of the monthly meetings here.
Elected candidates must sign a conflict of interest statement.
Board candidates must be active KCDG members and should have some of the following:
Skills and qualifications:
- A passion for the sport of disc golf.
- Professional experience involving management, marketing, finance, strategic planning, entrepreneurship, and/or experience in the not-for-profit sector.
- Communication skills to represent KCDG and to correspond with members.
- An ability and desire to promote disc golf through media and personal contacts.
- Teamwork, collaboration, and the ability to listen to and understand other points of view.
- Familiarity with KCDG organization and processes, and a demonstrated commitment to the growth and sustainability of Kansas City Disc Golf.
Training and/or experience in some or all of these areas:
- Disc golf organization
- Competitive disc golf
- Sales and marketing
- Tech management and development
- Human resources management
- Event production
- Reputation and respectability
Seven board members will be elected in 2021 and will serve from January 1, 2023 to December 31, 2024.
About the KCDG Board of Directors
The Kansas City Disc Golf Board of Directors consists of eleven members. At its first meeting following the election, the Board itself determines the following officers:
- Vice President of Kansas
- Vice President of Missouri
The other 3 members serve as at large members with a variety of responsibilities.
Thanks for your interest in becoming a member of the Kansas City Disc Golf Board of Directors. If you have questions about the election process, including issues with the questionnaire, contact Chris Timko at email@example.com.