The mission of Kansas City Disc Golf, Inc. (“KCDG”) is to educate and engage the greater Kansas City metropolitan area in the sport of disc golf.
In particular, the functions of KCDG include, but are not limited to:
- Educating the public about the sport of disc golf including: the history of the sport, the rules of the sport, and the health benefits provided by the sport to participants of all ages. KCDG organizes and supports demonstrations, workshops, and competitions for all ages and all skill levels, which are open to members and non-members. KCDG organizes and supports events specifically to introduce new players to disc golf; at these events, more experienced players are invited to demonstrate their techniques and share their knowledge with the newer players. Additionally, members of KCDG have actively participated in the Kansas City Women in Sports Summer Program, during which young girls are taught the sport of disc golf.
- Engaging youth in the sport of disc golf. Active participation in disc golf can be linked to lessons in math, science, and civics. Additionally, KCDG seeks to encourage children to engage in physical activity, which develops healthy habits, camaraderie, and good sportsmanship.
- Assisting municipalities (specifically, the parks and recreation departments) in the Kansas City area with the creation, installation, and upkeep of disc golf courses and related facilities. As most of the disc golf courses in the Kansas City area are open to the public, free of charge, both organized and informal groups have historically volunteered to assist municipalities in maintaining and improving the courses, as well as surrounding areas. KCDG formalizes these partnerships through contracts and/or memoranda of agreement and/or understanding. In addition to partnering with municipalities, KCDG also works with various non-profit neighborhood entities and park conservancy organizations.
- Promoting public service and volunteerism in assisting municipalities (and other organizations described above) with and in support of the creation, installation, and upkeep of disc golf courses and related facilities.
- Supporting other tax-exempt organizations. KCDG will organize and facilitate the Ice Bowl Tournament, an annual charitable disc golf event held every January, to raise money to fight hunger in the Kansas City area, while bringing awareness to the general public about the sport disc golf. Additionally, KCDG works with the not-for-profit Thornfield Disc Golf Course, which exists only for charitable events, by publicizing its schedule of events as well as lending material or human support as requested.
- Disseminating information about the sport of disc golf to the Kansas City metropolitan area through all available media. Utilizing social media sites such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube, KCDG keeps the public informed about demonstrations, workshops, and events. For example, the six videos showing the 2019 KC Wide Open netted nearly 560,000 views. KCDG also distributes occasional newsletters to members and subscribers.
Tax Exempt Status
As of January 2020, Kansas City Disc Golf, Inc is a federally recognized non for profit charity, qualifying for tax-exempt status a 501(c)3 organization. Furthermore, as of March 2019, The state of Missouri recognizes Kansas City Disc Golf, Inc as a Nonprofit Corporation in Good Standing.